- This event has passed.
The Gault Center – Decriminalizing Adolescent Speech & Contempt of Cop
September 19 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
In this session of the 2022 Racial Justice Training Series and Book Club, Prof. Kristin Henning and Mary Ann Scali, Executive Director of The Gault Center, will be joined by Dr. Shameka Stanford, Juvenile Speech-Language Pathologist; and Duci Goncalves, Deputy Chief Counsel of the Youth Advocacy Division at Massachusetts’ Committee for Public Counsel Services.
Please join us to:
- Review the history of tension between Black and Brown youth and the police and understand how youth of color are socialized to fear and resent police
- Discuss data on “contempt of cop” arrests and use of force on youth
- Learn how implicit racial bias impacts our perceptions of adolescent speech and adolescent emotional responses to authority figures
- Understand how speech and language disorders impact police encounters with youth
- Consider how we can use data, research, and history in our case advocacy and systemic reform
This session will be built around Chapter 7, Contempt of Cop, of Prof. Henning’s book, The Rage of Innocence: How America Criminalizes Black Youth.
This session will be held from 12 – 2 (3-5pm Eastern) on Monday, September 19th. Registration is free and will be open until 5am on Monday, Sept. 19.